Chamomile is one of the oldest herbs known in medicine. Chamomile is a member of the Asteraceae/Compositae family. There are two common varieties: German Chamomile (Chamomilla recutita) and Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile). Medicinal properties are contained in the dried flowers, thanks to terpenoids and flavonoids found in the plant.
Chamomile is used to treat many health issues, such as: insomnia, hay fever, inflammation, anxiety, muscle spasms, menstrual disorders, ulcers, wounds, gastrointestinal disorders, rheumatic pain, and hemorrhoids, skin irritation and disorders, insect bites, sunburn. We can prepare tea from chamomile dry flowers and drink it, make a compress etc, use tinctures or ointments.
Chamomile helps with external swelling and inflammation. Nowadays, when many of us get vaccination against Covid-19, it is very easy to injure the muscle, the injection spot, even by a light hit or punch. The arm might become red, hot and swollen. Making a compress from chamomile can help to reduce the swelling, redness and pain and heal the injection site faster. To make the compress, use chamomile tea, boiled water and leave the tea for an hour in a bowl. Then, put it in the fridge. Once it is cold, take a clean cloth or gauze, soak it and put on the red arm. Change the compress every hour.
Also, use of essential oils of chamomile are used extensively in cosmetics and aromatherapy. With its antibacterial, analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties it is perfect for balms, creams, ointments to help with skin conditions such as: psoriasis, eczema, rashes, acne. Also, chamomile essential oil is great for mixing with any other carrier oil (for example: sweet almond, jojoba, argan) and use it as a massage oil to relax the muscle and its tension or pain. Check out two recipes, for anti wrinkle oil and oil after sun exposure.
Antiwrinkle night oil
- Petitgrain 4 drops
- Lavender 5 drops
- Rosemary 5 drops
- Chamomile german 2 drops
- Chamomile roman 2 drops
- Lemon 4 drops
- Geranium 7 drops
- Rosehip seed oil (plant oil) 20 drops
- Evening primrose seed oil (plant oil) 10 drops
- carrier oil: almond, hazelnut, apricot kernel oil
Method of use:
- Blend the essential oils together.
- Add the plant oils to the essential oils.
- Application on face, neck, cleavage by using a teaspoon of a carrier oil and adding 2 drops of blend of oils.
After sun oil
- Chamomile roman 8 drops
- Geranium 8 drops
- Lavender 8 drops
- Carrier oils: jojoba (2 teaspoons), sesame seed oil (1 teaspoon), sweet almond (3 tablespoons)
Method of use:
- Blend all together and use on your skin before sleep.
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, V.A.Worwood